(Difference between revisions)
(New page: # Discuss with your counselor the tips for online safety. # Explain how the invention of the computer has affected society, science, and technology. In your explanation, give a short hist...)
m (Protected "Template:Computers/req" [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
Revision as of 08:29, May 2, 2008
- Discuss with your counselor the tips for online safety.
- Explain how the invention of the computer has affected society, science, and technology. In your explanation, give a short history of the computer.
- Do the following:
- a. Explain four different uses of computers.
- b. Describe three ways you and your family could use a personal computer other than for games and recreation.
- Explain to your counselor the following:
- a. The major parts of a computer system
- b. How the types of files used to store text, sound, pictures, and video are stored in a computer's memory
- Do the following:
- a. Explain what a program is and how it is developed.
- b. Give three examples of programming languages, and describe their uses.
- c. Name four software packages you or your family could use, and explain how you would use them.
- d. Discuss ways you can help protect a computer from viruses and how to keep secure information that has been saved on a computer.
- e. Describe how computers are linked to form the Internet and the World Wide Web.
- Do THREE of the following:
- a. Use a database manager to create a troop roster that includes the name, rank, patrol, and telephone number of each Scout. Show your counselor that you can sort the register by each of the following categories: rank, patrol, and alphabetically by name.
- b. Use a spreadsheet program to develop a food budget for a patrol weekend campout.
- c. Use a word processor to write a letter to the parents of your troop's Scouts inviting them to a court of honor. Use the program's mail merge feature to make a personalized copy of the letter for each family.
- d. Use a computer graphics program to design and draw a campsite plan for your troop, OR design a flyer for an upcoming troop event.
- e. Using a software package of your choice, develop a short presentation about a topic that has been approved by your counselor. For your presentation create at least 10 slides.
- f. Using an Internet search engine, find ideas about how to conduct a troop court of honor or campfire program. Print out a copy of the ideas from at least three different Web sites. Share what you found with your counselor, and explain how you used the search engine to find this information.
- g. Using a digital camera, take a picture of a troop activity. Transfer the picture file to a computer and use photographic software to make it small enough to send easily as an e-mail attachment. Then, using a computer connected to the Internet (with your parent's permission), send an e-mail to someone you know. In your message, include the photograph as an attachment. Verify that the person received your e-mail and was able to view the attachment.
- h. Describe two computer chip-based devices, and explain how they are "smarter" because of the chip and its program.
- Do ONE of the following:
- a. Visit a business or an industrial plant that uses computers. Observe what tasks the computers accomplish, and be prepared to discuss what you have learned.
- b. Using a software package of your choice for computer aided design (CAD), create an engineering-style drawing of a simple object. Include the top, bottom, and at least one side view and the dimensions.
- c. Use a general purpose programming language to write a simple program application of your choice, subject to approval by your counselor.
- d. Design a Web page for your troop, patrol, school, or place of worship. You need not post the page to a Web site. However, if you decide to do so, you will first need to get your parent's permission and your counselor's approval, as well as permission from the host site.
- For each of the following categories, discuss several related terms: input and output devices, storage media, memory, processors and coprocessors, modems or network cards, networks, World Wide Web and Internet, electronic mail, Wi-Fi.
- Explain the following to your counselor:
- a. Why it is not permissible to accept a free copy of a copyrighted computer game or program from a friend
- b. The restrictions and limitations of downloading music from the Internet
- c. Why copyright laws exist
- Pick two career opportunities in the computer field that interest you. Find out what education, training, and experience those positions require. Report what you learn to your counselor.