Template:Cub Scout Geology/req
Belt Loop Requirements
- Define geology.
- Collect a sample of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. Explain how each was formed.
- Explain the difference between a rock and a mineral.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Geology belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Make a plaster cast of a fossil.
- Make a special collection of rocks and minerals that illustrates the hardness scale.
- Give examples of sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks.
- Gather several different types of rocks. Compare them and put them in groups according to physical properties such as color, texture, luster, hardness, or crystals.
- Describe the effects of wind, water, and ice on the landscape.
- Make "pet rocks" using rocks, paint, and glue-on eyes. Tell a creative story about your pet rocks.
- Draw a diagram showing different types of volcanoes or draw a diagram that labels the different parts of a volcano.
- Make a crystal garden.
- Make a collection of five different fossils and identify them to the best of your ability.
- Make a poster or display showing 10 everyday products that contain or use rocks or minerals.
- Visit a mine, oil or gas field, gravel pit, stone quarry, or similar area of special interest related to geology.
- Visit with a geologist. Find out how he or she prepared for the job. Discuss other careers related to geology.
- Draw the inside of a cave showing the difference between stalactites and stalagmites.