Template:Cub Scout Map and Compass/req
(Difference between revisions)
m (1 revision)
: - - -
Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Show how to orient a map. Find three landmarks on the map
- Explain how a compass works.
- Draw a map of your neighborhood. Label the streets and plot the route you take to get to a place that you often visit.
Academics Pin Requirements
Earn the Map and Compass belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Define cartography.
- Make a poster showing 10 map symbols and their meaning.
- Read a book or story about a famous explorer or navigator. Tell your den or family what you learned.
- Make a simple compass with a magnet and pin.
- Explain the difference between latitude and longitude and show them on a map or globe.
- Draw a compass rose for a map. Label north, south, east, and west.
- Study a blank map of the United States of America. Label your state, and the states that share its boundary lines.
- In the field, show how to take a compass bearing and how to follow it.
- Show how to measure distances, using a scale on a map legend.
- Measure your pace. Then layout a simple compass course for your den to try.
- Using a road map, determine how many miles it is between two major cities or familiar destinations.
- Explain what the different map colors can mean on a map.
Please report any issues with this page.