(Difference between revisions)
(New page: # Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while cycling, including hypothermia, heat reactions, frostbite, dehydration, insect stings, tick bites, snakebite...)
m (Protected "Template:Cycling/req" [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
Revision as of 08:13, April 23, 2008
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while cycling, including hypothermia, heat reactions, frostbite, dehydration, insect stings, tick bites, snakebites, blisters, and hyperventilation.
- Clean and adjust a bicycle. Prepare it for inspection using a bicycle safety checklist. Be sure the bicycle meets local laws.
- Show your bicycle to your counselor for inspection. Point out the adjustments or repairs you have made. Do the following:
- a. Show all points that need oiling regularly.
- b. Show points that should be checked regularly to make sure the bicycle is safe to ride.
- c. Show how to adjust brakes, seat level and height, and steering tube.
- Describe how to brake safely with foot brakes and with hand brakes.
- Show how to repair a flat. Use an old bicycle tire.
- Take a road test with your counselor and demonstrate the following:
- a. Properly mount, pedal, and brake including emergency stops.
- b. On an urban street with light traffic, properly execute a left turn from the center of the street; also demonstrate an alternate left turn technique used during periods of heavy traffic.
- c. Properly execute a right turn.
- d. Demonstrate appropriate actions at a right-turn-only lane when you are continuing straight.
- e. Show proper curbside and road-edge riding. Show how to safely ride along a row of parked cars.
- f. Cross railroad tracks properly.
- Describe your state’s traffic laws for bicycles. Compare them with motor-vehicle laws. Know the bicycle-safety guidelines.
- Avoiding main highways, take two rides of 10 miles each, two rides of 15 miles each, and two rides of 25 miles each. You must make a report of the rides taken. List dates, routes traveled, and interesting things seen.*
- After fulfilling requirement 8, lay out on a road map a 50-mile trip. Stay away from main highways. Using your map, make this ride in eight hours.
- The bicycle must have all required safety features. It must be registered as required by your local traffic laws.