The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:
- I have read and understand use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.
- I will build a campfire only when necessary and when I have the necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- I will minimize campfire impacts or use existing fire lays consistent with the principles of Leave No Trace. I will check to see that all flammable material is cleared at least 5 feet in all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- I will safely use and store fire starting materials.
- I will see that fire is attended to at all times.
- I will make sure that water and/or a shovel is readily available. I will promptly report any wildfire to the proper authorities.
- I will use the cold-out test to make sure the fire is cold out and will make sure the fire lay is cleaned before I leave it.
- I will follow the Outdoor Code and the principles of Leave No Trace.
The Scout's "Firem'n Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.