: - - -
Do all of these:
- With your parent, guardian, or Webelos den leader, complete the Courage Character Connection.
- Know: Define the importance of each courage step: Be strong; Be calm; Be clear; Be careful. Explain how memorizing the courage steps helps you to be ready.
- Commit: Explain why it is hard to follow the courage steps in an emergency. Tell when you can use the courage steps in other situations (such as standing up to a bully, avoiding fights, being fair, not stealing or cheating when tempted, etc.)
- Practice: Act out one of the requirements using these courage steps: Be strong; Be calm; Be clear; Be careful.
- Explain what first aid is. Tell what you should do after an accident.
- Explain how you can get help quickly if there is an emergency in your home. Make a "help list" of people or agencies that can help you if you need it. Post it near a phone or in another place with easy access.
- Demonstrate the Heimlich maneuver and tell when it is used.
- Show what to do for these "hurry cases":
- Serious bleeding
- Stopped breathing
- Internal poisoning
- Heart attack
- Show how to treat shock.
- Show first aid for the following:
- Cuts and scratches
- Burns and scalds
- Blisters on the hand and foot
- Tick bites
- Bites and stings of insects other than ticks
- Poisonous snakebite
- Tell what steps must be taken for a safe swim with your Webelos den, pack, family, or other group. Explain the reasons for the buddy system.
And do two of these:
- Explain six safety rules you should follow when "driving" a bicycle.
- Explain the importance of wearing safety equipment when participating in sports activities (skating, skateboarding, etc.)
- Make a home fire escape plan for your family.
- Explain how to use each item in a first aid kit.
- Tell where accidents are most likely to happen inside and around your home.
- Explain six safety rules you should remember when riding in a car.
- Attend a first aid demonstration at a Boy Scout troop meeting, a Red Cross center, or other community event or place.
Please report any issues with this page.