The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:
- Read and understand woods tools use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.
- Demonstrate proper handling, care, and use of the pocket knife, ax, and saw.
- Use knife, ax, and saw as tools, not playthings.
- Respect all safety rules to protect others.
- Respect property. Cut living and dead trees only with permission and with good reason.
- Subscribe to the Outdoor Code.
The Scout's "Totin' Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.