This Is Scouting
(article is automatically categorized via template)
|(7 intermediate revisions not shown.)|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
<center><big>[[This Is Scouting]] replaced
<center><big>[[This Is Scouting]] replaced New Leader Essentialsin March of 2009.<br>
[[This Is Scouting]] highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting.<br>
[[This Is Scouting]] highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting.<br> is a part of [[Basic Leader Training]] taken after [[Fast Start Training]].</big></center><br>
[[This Is Scouting]]
[[This Is Scouting]] as an [. -training [] .
The [http://www.scouting.org/Applications/MyScoutingFull.aspx online version] of [[This Scouting]] requires approximately 45 minutes to watch a series of videos. The volunteer must watch each video in it's entirety to receive credit. A local training curriculum is also available .
The [http://www.scouting.org/Applications/MyScoutingFull.aspx online version] of [[This
==Benefits of "This Is Scouting"==
==Benefits of "This Is Scouting"==
|Line 20:||Line 18:|
Revision as of 12:30, October 19, 2012
This Is Scouting highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting.
This Is Scouting is a part of Basic Leader Training taken after Fast Start Training.
This Is Scouting is available as an "E-Learning" online training or through your local council.
This Is Scouting replaced "New Leader Essentials" as introductory session that highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting. It addresses how these aims and methods are reached in an age-appropriate style within Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, and Venturing. Videos, discussions, and hands-on reinforcement are presented during the 90-minute training session. Ideally, all unit-based volunteers—Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, and Venturing leaders—take this session at the same time, so they understand that they are all striving for the same results with the youth they serve. Each leader completes This Is Scouting training only once. If you have previously taken NLE, you do not need to take this course.
The online version of This Is Scouting requires approximately 45 minutes to watch a series of videos. The volunteer must watch each video in it's entirety to receive credit. A local training curriculum is also available on DVD, No. 36118, for areas where internet access is limited or where group presentation is desired.
Benefits of "This Is Scouting"
Assistance in implementing the full Scouting program with chartered organizations:
- A better understanding of the advantages of encouraging youth and adult volunteers to move through the traditional program as their youth mature
- An awareness of the different aspects of the Scouting program, which may result in leaders taking advantage of those programs for a child in a different age group
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center Training courses can be completed online at my.Scouting Tools by selecting Home, then My Dashboard.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.