This Is Scouting
This Is Scouting highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting.
New Leader Essentials is a part of Basic Leader Training taken after Fast Start Training.
The online version of This is Scouting requries approximately 45 minutes to watch a series of videos. The volunteer must watch each video in it's entirity to receive credit. A local training cirriculum is also available.
Benefits of This Is Scouting
Assistance in implementing the full Scouting program with chartered organizations:
- A better understanding of the advantages of encouraging youth and adult volunteers to move through the traditional program as their youth mature
- An awareness of the different aspects of the Scouting program, which may result in leaders taking advantage of those programs for a child in a different age group
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center Training courses can be completed online at my.Scouting Tools by selecting Home, then My Dashboard.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.