This Is Scouting
This Is Scouting highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting.
New Leader Essentials is a part of Basic Leader Training taken after Fast Start Training.
This Is Scouting replaced "New Leader Essentials" as introductory session that highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting. It addresses how these aims and methods are reached in an age-appropriate style within Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, and Venturing. Videos, discussions, and hands-on reinforcement are presented during the 90-minute training session. Ideally, all unit-based volunteers—Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, and Venturing leaders—take this session at the same time, so they understand that they are all striving for the same results with the youth they serve. Each leader completes New Leader Essentials training only once.
The online version of This Is Scouting requires approximately 45 minutes to watch a series of videos. The volunteer must watch each video in it's entirety to receive credit. A local training curriculum is also available.
Benefits of "This Is Scouting"
Assistance in implementing the full Scouting program with chartered organizations:
- A better understanding of the advantages of encouraging youth and adult volunteers to move through the traditional program as their youth mature
- An awareness of the different aspects of the Scouting program, which may result in leaders taking advantage of those programs for a child in a different age group
Online or classroom Leader Training
Youth protection (MANDATORY) – every registered adult must be re-certified every two years.
- Fast Start Training – online training you can take right now.
- Leader Specific Training – provides the specialized knowledge a new leader needs.
BSA Online Learning Center – provides a variety of materials courses.
- Other: This Is Scouting (formerly New Leader Essentials) – Roundtable – University of Scouting – Trainer’s EDGE (formerly Trainer Development Conference)
Outdoor Leader Training
In addition to fulfilling other requirements, some unit leaders need outdoor-specific training.
- Cub Scout Pack: BALOO – To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained.
- Webelos Den Leaders: Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL) – To have a Webelos Den camp-out.
- Scoutmaster & Assistants and Varsity Scout Coach & Assistants: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills – To have a camp-out.
- Wood Badge – Advanced Leadership skills for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing, district and council Scouters.
- Seabadge Underway – Advanced Leadership skills for unit, district and council Sea Scouters.