The Totin' Chip
The Totin' Chip certification grants a Scout the right to carry and use wood tools.
Totin' Chip requirements
The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:
The Scout's "Totin' Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.
Scouts who earn the Totin' Chip are encouraged to then earn the Paul Bunyan Woodsman, which is an application of the skills learned in Totin' Chip.
Even though the patch is shaped like a pocket flap, wearing it on a pocket flap does not conform to uniform standards. Per BSA: "The Totin' Chip Patch is considered a 'Temporary Patch' and, if worn, should be worn centered on the RIGHT Pocket of the Boy Scout Uniform Shirt. It should NOT be sewn on a pocket flap."
- Your handbook is your primary reference. See Outdoor Skills for step-by-step instructions and lesson video links.
- See also: Camping Merit Badge Pamphlet - Hiking Skills - Hydration - Outdoor Gear - Tents - Water Purification - Weather Skills
- Outdoor Skills Awards
- Boy Scout ranks: Tenderfoot - Second Class - First Class
- Boy Scout awards: Firem'n Chit - Totin' Chip - Paul Bunyan Woodsman
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Astronomy - Backpacking - Camping - Canoeing - Climbing - Cooking - Cycling - Fire Safety - Hiking - Orienteering - Pioneering - Rowing - Weather - Water Sports - Whitewater - Wilderness Survival
- Venturing: Outdoor Bronze Award; Ranger Award electives: Backpacking
- Webelos Activity Badges: Forester - Naturalist - Outdoorsman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Astronomy - Map and Compass - Weather
- Art Awards Links
- Boy Scout Merit Badges: Architecture - Art - Basketry - Bugling - Cinematography - Cooking - Graphic Arts - Indian Lore - Leatherwork - Metalwork - Model Design and Building - Music - Photography - Pottery - Sculpture - Theater- Wood Carving - Woodwork
- Venturing: Arts and Hobbies Bronze Award - Outdoor Living History (Ranger Award elective)
- Webelos Activity Badges: Artist - Craftsman - Showman
- Cub Scout Belt Loops & Pins: Art - Music