|| Tracking is a discontinued merit badge. However, in honor of the BSA’s 100th Anniversary, Tracking has been named to the BSA’s new Historical Merit Badge Program and can be earned by scouts from January 1, 2010 until December 31, 2010.
|Tracking "Centennial" merit badge
|| 1911, 2010
|| BSA Advancement ID:
|| 1952, 2010
|| Requirements Revision:
First offered in 1911 (as Stalker merit badge) and discontinued in 1952.
Sample requirements: recognize the tracks of 10 different animals; give evidence to show you have tracked at least two different kinds of birds or animals, documenting their speed and direction.
Merit badge requirements
- 1. Demonstrate by means of a tracking game or otherwise, ability to track skillfully in shelter and wind, etc., when occasion demands.
- 2. Know and recognize the tracks of ten different kinds of animals or birds in his vicinity, three of which may be domestic.
- 3. Submit satisfactory evidence that he has trailed two different kinds of wild animals or birds on ordinary ground far enough to determine the direction in which they were going, and their gait or speed. Give names of animals or birds trailed, their direction of travel, and describe gait and speed; or submit satisfactory evidence that he has trailed six different kinds of wild animal or birds in snow, sand, dust or mud, far enough to determine the direction in which they were going, and their gait or speed. Give names of animals or birds trailed, their direction of travel, and describe gait and speed.
- 4. Submit evidence the he has scored at least 30 points from the following groups: [Group (f) and 4 of the 5 groups (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) must be represented in the score of 30 and at least 7 points must be scored from (a), (b), or (c)].
- Make a clear photograph of:
- (a) Live bird away from nest 4 points
- (b) Live woodchuck or smaller wild animal 3 points
- (c) Live wild animal larger than woodchuck 4 points
- (d) Live bird on nest 3 points
- (e) Tracks of live wild animal or bird 2 points
- (f) Make satisfactory plaster cast of wild animal or bird tracks with identification imprint on back or each 2 points
Related Ranks, Awards, and Merit Badges