|| Tracking ("Stalking" in earlier handbooks) is a discontinued merit badge. However, in honor of the BSA’s 100th Anniversary, this badge has been named to the BSA’s new Historical Merit Badge Program and may be earned by Scouts during 2010 until December 31, 2010.
|Tracking "Centennial" merit badge
|| 1911, 2010
|| BSA Advancement ID:
|| 1952, 2010
|| Requirements Revision:
2010 merit badge requirements
As of March 31, 2010 official requirements are not posted by the BSA. Even though some council Scout shops have sold this patch, this merit badge cannot be earned until finalized requirements are released.
1938, 1945, 1950 merit badge requirements
- Demonstrate by means of a stalking game or otherwise, ability to stalk skillfully in shelter and wind, etc., showing how to proceed noiselessly and "freeze" when occasion demands.
- Know and recognize the tracks of ten different kinds of animals or birds in his vicinity, three of which may be domestic.
- Submit satisfactory evidence that he has trailed two different kinds of wild animals or birds on ordinary ground far enough to determine the direction in which they were going, and their gait or speed. Give names of animals or birds trailed, their direction of travel, and describe gait and speed; or submit satisfactory evidence that he has trailed six different kinds of wild animal or birds in snow, sand, dust, or mud, far enough to determine the direction in which they were going, and their gait or speed. Give names of animals or birds, their direction of travel, and describe gait and speed.
- Submit satisfactory evidence that he has tracked a human being and deduced from the trail whether it was a man or woman, young or old, the gait or speed, and also give any other information deduced.
- Submit evidence the he has scored at least 30 points from the following groups: [Group (f) and 4 of the 5 groups (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) must be represented in the score of 30 and at least 7 points must be scored from (a), (b), or (c)].
- Make a clear recognizable photograph of:
- (a) Live bird away from nest ... 4 points each
- (b) Live woodchuck or smaller wild animal ... 3 points each
- (c) Live wild animal larger than woodchuck ... 4 points each
- (d) Live bird on nest ... 3 points each
- (e) Tracks of live wild animal or bird ... 2 points each
- (f) Make satisfactory plaster cast of wild animal or bird tracks with identification imprint on back of cast ... 2 points each
- The original design of the Stalking Merit Badge contained a leaf rather than an animal.
Related Ranks, Awards, and Merit Badges