If you prefer to email me privately: Craig Lincoln
New Merit Badge Worksheets
I see that you've undone a lot of what I did. Is there a reason that Mr. R's are being removed? And, is there a reason that the Worksheets page has been completely redone? I put a lot of time into that and it would have been courteous to have had some discussion over proposed changes. EagleForumFan 06:42, March 3, 2008 (EST)
- I apologize for any misunderstandings. Mr. R's content and links appear to not have been updated in several years. The requirements have changed since then. Meritbadge.org tries to only reference the current requirements. Many of links that are still viable have been added to meritbadge.org. If there are links that are missing from meritbadge.org, we should add them here.
- The reason for the updated worksheets is that most of the old worksheets contained wording that did not match the current requriements. The BSA is updating as many as 22-26 merit badges a year. Also, the new worksheets address formatting issues such as a need for increased line spacing to allow enough room for younger Scouts to write. Plus the new worksheets include a wealth of links to online content. 59 include video lessons to teach skills. These changes were made with direction of the site moderators. It was my understanding that the previous author had declined further updates. The "new" worksheets had originally been posted at usscout.org for years.
- The site moderators have asked that doc file formats no longer be used as this has allowed requirements to be altered. Again, sorry for any misunderstandings. - Craig (Milominderbinder2) 07:42, March 3, 2008 (CST)
- Thank you for the explanation. It was disconcerting to find so many changes without explanation. This makes perfect sense. EagleForumFan 01:04, March 5, 2008 (EST)
New Webelos Activity Badge Worksheets and Consistency of Pages
Could you please explain the rationale behind these changes?: Webelos Artist Activity Badge moved to Artist: To allow the Worksheet Template to work correctly and to be consistent with the Merit Badge nomenclature. Scouterdennis 17:07, March 11, 2008 (EDT)
- Worksheets have been created for all Webelos Activity Badge. Consequently, the Worksheet Template needed to be added to each page. The template requires that the page name match the worksheet pdf name. The page names for the merit badges are names like "Swimming". To be consistent (and for the template to work), "Webelos Aquanaut Activity Badge," for instance, needed to be Aquanaut."
- Another issue that this addresses is that very few people know that Aquanaut is actually the Webelos Aquanaut Activity Badge. They want help with the Aquanaut Pin. They have never heard of an Aquanaut "Badge". Our links say "Aquanaut" for this reason.
- When you click Aquanaut, you will go to Aquanaut and the worksheets will work as well. The old Webelos Aquanaut Activity Badge page redirects you to Aquanaut. We are also standardizing the section headings to match the sections on the Boy Scout Merit Badge Sections. Hope that helps.Milominderbinder2 17:23, March 11, 2008 (EDT)
- Why not simply have "Aquanaut" redirect to "Webelos Aquanaut Activity Badge"? That way the article title would be descriptive (and also would be what the BSA calls them, their actual name) and people would still be able to find what they need. By your (their) reasoning, we should rename all of the Belt Loop articles, since no one would ever search for "Cub Scout Sports: Basketball".
- The name of the final you redirect to must match the name of the pdf they link to. Again, this was driven by the need to standardize page names that have a linked pdf worksheet. Plus the pages still show the full names as well.Milominderbinder2 17:49, March 12, 2008 (EDT)
- Who makes these decisions? Is there any discussion? Scouterdennis 06:53, March 12, 2008 (EDT)
- I am not speaking on behalf of MeritBadge.org but I can tell you that the Sysops (moderators) make decisions cautiously. MeritBadge.com started years ago with the vision of one person, Michael Kauffmann. Over time a few more key people started helping him. The Wiki concept of Merit Badge.org is allowing many to collaborate now. MeritBadge.org is changing and growing every day. Milominderbinder2 17:49, March 12, 2008 (EDT)
Standardized Cub Scout Academic & Sports Pages
You changed the Notes section of every Sports Belt Loop and Pin, so now they ALL read Badminton instead of the article name. Scouterdennis 06:45, March 12, 2008 (EDT)
- Over time a variety of layouts were used as Cub Scout Academic & Sports Pages were created. Some are off to a great start. Others had not yet been started. Many were in this general format that mirrors the Boy Scout Merit Badges:
- Welcome text
- Belt Loop Requirements
- Academics Pin Requirements
- link to red book
- Related achievements, electives, or other awards
- External links
- Now all of those pages should be in this format. The variables and links should all work. Milominderbinder2 17:49, March 12, 2008 (EDT)